What is Bengkung ?
Bengkung is a traditional Malaysian belly binding method. Essentially it is a practice of tying a long strip of cloth around the abdomen during the postpartum recovery period to ensure a strong support to our womb after childbirth.
Why belly-binding ?
- Pulls in the separated abdominal muscles (diastasis recti) back together.
- Prevents back pain. While wearing it, you are reminded to sit and walk straight, a good antidote to the “nursing-slouch”.
- Decreases postpartum bleeding time by speeding up the process of getting rid of waste blood in a natural way.
- It’s an ancient traditional natural way of healing after birth.
- It feels good!
What makes a Bengkung different from western postpartum girdles like Belly Bandit ?
It’s the length. A Bengkung Belly Bind is a long wrap that covers from under the chest all the way down to below the hips. This way, it doesn’t just work on the waist, but also helps the ribcage and the hips go back to their former dimensions. It also stays put when you move, and so it doesn’t press on the abdomen.
More about Belly Binding
Wrapping the belly is an effective and important part of a mama’s recovery in the postpartum stage of her journey. It aids the body to shrink and recover in shorter period of time, normally six to eight weeks. A Bengkung belly wrap provides a mama’s postpartum body with complete support to assist abdominal wall muscle retraction, improve posture, stabilize loosened ligaments, and provide support to the torso while vital organs return to their pre-pregnancy size and position.
During pregnancy a mama’s body retains water, fat, and air which cause her body to swell and expand, including the organs in the womb area such as the cervix and vagina. The water retained by cells supported the amniotic fluid and the purpose of the air was to cushion the baby, mama’s internal organs, and bones as her center of gravity shifted and her baby grew bigger and bigger. This is why a mama gets more and more swollen during the last months of pregnancy. When a baby is born, the excess water, fat, and flatulence are no longer needed and the cells will naturally release and shrink back to their pre-pregnant size. However, the purpose of a post-pregnancy wrap is to speed up this process with constant pressure on the abdomen and torso area.
A long post-pregnancy wrap provides a holistic support to all the abdominal and pelvic organs, including the muscles in the pelvic area. Support to the pelvic area is very important in the immediate weeks after birth as a mama’s cervix dilates 10 cm when active labor is reached, this is the equivalent to the size of an average bagel. Therefore the pressure of a longer wrap on the hip area helps the cervix shrink and allows the pelvic muscles to heal without being further stretched. Steady, pressured support on the hips allows the body to “close” more easily than if just left in its expanded state. The Bengkung style of binding is known to help heal diastasis recti with the constant supportive pressure on the abdomen area.
The Belly bind is most effective and best used during the first 8 weeks postpartum but can be useful for support during anytime of the postpartum period.
By Valerie Lynn, Author of The Mommy Plan
Products & Services
* Bengkung Belly Bind consist of two separate pieces, a warming piece and a bind (wrap). The warming piece is worn directly onto your abdomen and the bind is wrapped from the hips all the way up to under the breasts.
**** ATTENTION: I am currently only offering this service locally. Please order your wrap before your baby arrives. Ideally in your second trimester! Thank you!
* This services is offered in the Central Florida area only. I will come to your home in the early postpartum days (ideally day 3 or 4 after the birth) to wrap you once. The session includes a light womb massage and an application of Belly Firming Paste made by Mother NaturAle with 100% natural ingredients that have warming properties which stimulate blood flow to the area on and around the abdomen, resulting in the firming, toning, and strengthening of the internal stomach muscles as well as the loose abdominal skin. The ingredients also stimulate the body to release retained water in the tummy and torso area and smells delicious!
* Package includes Bengkung Belly Binding wrap and three Binding Sessions in the early postpartum days with light womb massage and Belly Firming Paste application. I will come to your home in the early postpartum days to wrap you and put paste on your womb on three different days within the first month postpartum.
* During this private at-home rite of passage Postpartum Healing Ceremony, we’ll begin with a sealing birth milk bath with herbs and flowers. This space will be created for you to relax, be honored, and reflect on your birth journey. After the bath, you will be kept warm and escorted to your bed where you will be nurtured by a warming oil rub down, aromatherapy, reiki, and rebozo tuck in where I’ll be “closing” you by gently wrapping your head, midsection and pelvic area, to help facilitate shrinkage of the uterus guide the bones back to their original positioning and assist in energetically sealing the birth process. Then you will enjoy a nourishing cup of tea and finally you’ll receive a belly firming paste application and Belly Binding Session. Please allow 2-3 hours for this ceremony.
If you have any questions or you wish to book your Belly Binding Session please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org